Sunday, December 2, 2012

Fall Colors in Japan

Another November

Japanese people love to talk about the country's four seasons. And the way they go on and on regarding the cherry blossoms, red leaves, and snowy mountains, I sometimes wonder if they don't realize that a lot of places have the same pronounced seasonal shifts. That said, the place where I grew up--San Diego--is not one of them. We have 6 months of summer and short winters that do not become so cold. Spring and fall are also in there but you wouldn't really know it.

Ceramic Frog
As for Japan, it is the end of fall, and you need only to look to the hills to see the dramatic difference between now and a month ago. About half the trees have turned orange and brown. Their leaves will soon be gone and the drab grey of winter will set in. It's a shame really. The colorful trees are a sight to behold. But if they were always that way I suppose one would not appreciate them as much.



Anyhow, I have been hard at work taking photos in and around my town. The area of Japan where I live certainly has no shortage of natural beauty. Rather than try to explain how, I'll let my pictures do the talking.


Japanese Maple Trees
Leaves up Close
Leaves Afloat
Maple on the River
Ginko Tree Leaves
Momijigari

Japanese people love to go out and see the leaves up close. This is a cultural practice called momijigari. The Japanese word momiji is 'maple tree' in English, and the -gari suffix means 'to hunt' or 'search for.' In popular spots such as the temples and gardens of Kyoto it becomes so packed that it defeats the purpose of going. You have crowds of people with their cameras out working their way towards the best spots. It's too much of a struggle to enjoy.





Kiyomizu Temple in Kyoto

Fewer people at Yoro Park in Gifu Pref.
Kids love the leaves too
As do older people
And me
My Town

Where there is nature there are trees. Where I live I don't to have to go far to see either. In fact, right in my town are plenty of good places to take photos. And more importantly I do not have to compete with the crowds. I like it that way. It's one of the reasons I choose to live in the Japanese countryside. There aren't that many people nor the stress that comes with being in the big city. I know first hand how that is. I spent a year in Tokyo and that was time enough for me.

Yellow against Dark
Persimmons and Scarecrow
Giant Maple
Fall Flowers
Small Fountain
So there you have it. Japanese Fall Colors. They are spectacular to say the least. Oddly, it took me several years of living in this country to appreciate them. It may be that I had the wrong attitude because of how Japanese people talked up the colors. I often shy away from things that are popular instead choosing to find my own peculiar interests.


Statue with leaves
River Shot
Protected Forest
Really up close

More Than Just Colors

Since I am already outside with my camera I'll take pictures of whatever else draws my eye. With the plentitude of sights to see in Gifu Prefecture my photographic inclinations are easily satisfied. Here are some other things I have also shot in the past few weeks.



Trains
Friends
Castles

Waterfalls
Insects



No comments:

Post a Comment