Monday, February 18, 2013

White Out

My Town

The cold comes and I feel it in the bones. The bite creeps deep and is accompanied by a shiver. I know then it will be harsh months ahead just like all the other years I’ve spent in Japan. This is different from how life was in San Diego. In southern California the local populace has a distorted idea of what winter is because of the lack of severe changes in temperature. I was once like that. But I learned. I don’t like winter. Not now, not ever. Yet there is one thing that makes it all worthwhile. And that is the snow.

Sakahogi, my town
Local shrine
Frosty leaves
A bend
Winter Fall
Takayama

An image can deceive. These here appear to be pictures of a winter wonderland, but the snow soon melted. This is the case where I live. What snow falls during the night is gone the next by noon. To get the real snow I need to go elsewhere. And one such trip was to Takayama City and the nearby historical village of Shirakawa-go.

Cold river
Another shrine
Kid's play
Statue
Blue Heron
View of Shirakawa-go
Old style houses
Traditional village
Gujo Hachiman

Elsewhere in the town of Gujo Hachiman the snow caked the streets in white after I arrived by train. It was difficult to work my way along the sidewalks. The residents spilled outside to shovel a path to their front door. I went here and there taking photos, this a town I have always liked regardless of the season.


Sweep away friend
Gujo river
Famous backstreet
Snow falling
Gujo Hachiman Castle
From the tower
Umbrella ladies
Ishikawa

Yet further north, during a visit to Ishikawa Prefecture, I stayed with my friend Ryota. I had the opportunity to take pictures in the area, including at Kenroku Garden, one of Japan’s most famous. The snows are more plentiful on that side of the country which is along the Sea of Japan. 

School on a Saturday
Noto Line
Tracks
Snowy rice fields
Another heron
Kenroku Gardens
Ryota and Mi-chan
Kanazawa Castle
Tea House
Tea Street
Golden wall
It's now mid February. The worst of winter is drawing to an end. Then in another month or so Spring will arrive. That wont bring warm days right away, but it's a start. I'll have survived another season of cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment